Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Research Book Option. . .

Blog Post #2: Write about which book you chose, briefly describe (in your own words!) what it's about and why you chose it.
 
Hello Everyone,
The book that I chose is named Spoken Soul: The Story of Black English by Rickford, John Russell. This particular book is about the African American vernacular, and how it obtained its prevalence in society. It focuses on the history of  the English Language and discusses the significant similarity and differences between it and other western African languages that serve as influences of the vernacular. With elements of history and disadvantages it attempts to negate the theory of "laziness" and focuses on the various differences in culture and pronunciation.

The reason why I have decided to engage in research using this book is because I am very fascinated in learning if the African American vernacular is a co-requisite in the decisions and perceptions about the world. In addition, I want to research its origins and obtain an understanding of a language which is as popular as "standard English". Furthermore it is a topic worth exploring and aides in understanding the cultural norms of African Americans, which could enable my peers and I to be a lot more empathetic toward people that I may not understand or agree with.

1 comment:

  1. Great choice, great reasons for choosing it! This is one I have not read, Eric, so I will rely on you to give a good assessment of how you find his interpretation of research. BTW, what do you mean by: "is a co-requisite in the decisions and perceptions about the world"? Sounds interesting but I'm not sure what you're referring to.

    ReplyDelete