Monday, October 18, 2010

"That guy BAMBOOZLED me into buying his meal"

For those of you that did not catch on to what the word "bamboozled" meant; it is to frustrate, confuse, or completely throw off a person. This word was created in 1703 and started as an American Slang term. Its one of those peculiar terms because it has two places where it could have derived from. The word formation is borrowing, and has been borrowed from both French and Scottish. In Scottish, perhaps from bombaze, which is perplex, or in French embabuiner, which is literally "to make a fool of".  The reason why I chose this specific word is because in my household, we used the word as often as we said food, which is a lot. I do not use it any more, but I thought it would be fun to take a term that I used often and find out its formation. A funny thing is that when I was using this term all of those years ago, I assumed that it was indeed slang, but doing this research allowed me to learn a new thing that I had not known before. In addition, I also found out that the word once was a comic that portrayed Black features in an exaggerated fashion. These Black caricatures were seen are one of the most offensive forms of entertainment. Nonetheless, the word is now used in casual conversation amongst all people.

6 comments:

  1. I naver heard before this term, "bamboozled"
    Also, [zl] sound is funny~ :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good sentence in the title. And great image. Guess you've had some experience being bambozzled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks prof. Jerskey, the title is a sentence I've used many times. And thanks for the comment Hyelim, I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Erik, you did a great job today. I think your presentation was very cool. I liked the designs and colors you put in it, I noticed that it actually kind of matched with the cover of the book which was cool. Your clarification of the miss-assumption and some people's ways of stereotyping others depending on how they speak, was very important for all of us i think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow that is new word for me, I will try to use it sometimes. thanks Erik!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete